When I first started making my own skincare creams and lotions a few years ago things got complicated pretty fast. I would mix as many different oils together as I could and I was on a constant hunt to try out new oils and butters.
Nowadays my current favorite is surprisingly simple, it’s too simple to have a tutorial for it so I thought I would write up a quick blog post instead.
(I label all my oils on the lids so I can easily see what I have)
What I use:
- Evening Primrose Oil
- Carrot Oil
- 3 Drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- 3 Drops Helichrysum Essential Oil
- Repurposed Kiehls Midnight Recovery Serum Bottle
Some of you might have seen on Instagram a few months ago that after I’d finished my Midnight Recovery Serum I cleaned it up, scraped off the blue coating and reused the bottle. I absolutely love this bottle, and since I’m trying to reuse/repurpose everything I buy as much as possible, I figured, why not just clean it out and use it again?
To make this mix it I fill most of the bottle with evening primrose oil, add three full droppers of carrot oil on top and then finish by adding three drops each of the essential oils, close the lid, give it a good shake, and that’s it. I know, not very accurate, but it is simple and it works beautifully for my skin.
If you want to make this one yourself I’ve linked where I bought all the various ingredients above. Just note that the Amazon links are affiliate links and I want to point out that the carrot oil bottle is very, very small for the price. While I’m happy with the oil itself, I think once I run out I’m going to look for another brand which is a bit more reasonably priced or bigger.
Why I Like These Ingredients:
- Evening Primrose Oil: Moisturising, sinks into the skin quickly without leaving a thick sticky residue and doesn’t have a strong or offensive smell. High in antioxidants and omega 6 fatty acids. It’s often used as a treatment for skin disorders such as eczema, psoriasis, and acne.
- Carrot Oil: Also very moisturizing and sinks easily into the skin, and the smell isn’t obviously ‘carroty’. With detoxing, antiviral, and antiseptic properties, in skincare it’s used for helping with dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, rashes, toning the skin and wrinkles. High in vitamins A, C, B1 and B2.
- Frankincense Essential Oil: Anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and astringent. In skincare it’s used to help with blemishes, dry, mature or wrinkled skin and is also thought to be very effective for healing scars.
- Helichrysum Essential Oil: For the skin this oil is traditionally used to help with psoriasis, acne, eczema, spots burns and inflammation. So far, along with Frankincense, this is my favorite oil for maintaining an even skin tone. Especially if I get a little sunburnt or – like at the moment – have pregnancy pigmentation. It’s anti-inflammatory, antimicrobials and astringent.